Bell Energy participated in the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) Conference and Exhibition on Health, Safety, Environment and Social Responsibility held at Abu Dhabi in April 2018.
The conference covered wide array of aspects of HSE and Social Responsibility related to the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical and Refining Industry. The conference covered the following topics:
- Air Quality and Emissions Management
- Process Safety – Human Factor and Performance
- Occupational Safety : Transport Safety
- Occupational Safety : Physical Hazards
- Occupational Medicine for a Healthy Workforce and a Safe Workplace
- Process Safety : Asset Integrity
- Waste Management
- Creating Shared Value : Collaboration, Partnership, Investment
- Protecting Workers Health : Innovations in Industrial Hygiene
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Operational Excellence : Driving a Consistent Message
- The Constant Challenge : Addressing the Human Element
- Planning for the Unexpected : Are We Ready?
- Sustainability and Operations : Four Elements of a Sustainability Management System
- Remote Health Care Provision in Complex and Demanding Locations
- Journey Through Safety Culture Transformation
- Biodiversity and Sensitive Environments
- Respecting Human Rights: Engagement, Conflict Resolution, and Security Best Practices
- Process Safety : Barrier Management
- Spills Prevention and Emergency Response
- Sustainable Resource Management : Benefits to Industry Operations and Footprint
- Process Safety : Well Engineering and Drilling
- Innovation in Safety : What Will They Think of Next?
- Occupational Medicine Impacting Health in Communities
- Gauging Performance to Measure Success
- Produced Water and Wastewater Management
- Community Engagement : Shaping the Internal Conversation for Better
- Wellness as an Enabler of Productivity
- Environmental Risk Management
- Learn and Live : Gain from the Pain
- Workplace Mental Health, Workers Welfare, and Resilience Programme : Managing the Emerging Epidemic
Bell Energy presented a paper on “Applications of Mixed Reality in Process Safety and Operational Integrity“.
This paper addresses the applications of virtual and augmented reality (mixed reality) to improve process safety and integrity. The presentation was delivered by Ashish Kulkarni and was very well received by the attendees.
Applications of Mixed Reality in Process Safety and Operational Integrity – Abstract
In proposing a modern approach to process industry operational integrity management, a question that often surfaces is “What is the most complex activity within operational integrity management that affects performance, productivity and efficiency?”. There are variety of answers to this question, one answer being “Human limitations in conceiving data to make informed decisions”. The objective of this presentation is to outlines the key benefits of mixed reality platforms in presenting data to managers, operators and maintenance personnel working in an Oil & Gas facility.
Process industry in the past did not generate as much data as it does today. With the amount of data generated every day, it is necessary to innovate so as to analyze data and visually represent them thereby providing a “total immersive knowledge”. In light of the recent developments in mixed reality platforms, it is now possible to use this technology to visually present data focused around the needs of humans. Using mixed reality, one can merge the view of real equipment of a plant with a virtual world of data, simulation and instructions, such that both the physical and digital world co-exist.
Few of the applications of this technology in the Oil & Gas industry are 1) providing safe operations, maintenance and repair instructions real time 2) monitor, record and analyze data real time during inspections 3) visualize data outside the control room 4) effectively train personnel during visits 5) analyze trends and predict outcomes 6) share data with managers, vendors for efficient decisions.
The presentation outlines the key benefits of mixed reality platforms such as Microsoft Hololens in presenting data to managers, operators and maintenance personnel working in an Oil & Gas facility. The presentation will also discuss findings of a sponsored pilot project where mixed reality was implemented. At the end, the presentation will also raise the current challenges and possible solutions in successfully implementing such technologies.